Thursday 5 January 2017

Redundancy.





I wasn't going to write this post, but it's something I thought would never happen to me and I wanted to share how I've dealt with being made redundant.





If i'm honest, I wasn't shocked when it happened. I'd been at my current agency for only 6 months when the client made a business decision to merge the social channels with another arm of the business meaning my agency no longer needed me on that account and I knew deep down there wasn't enough other work for me. So when I was told, I wasn't shocked but I had the quick realisation that very soon I wouldn't have a job to go to and burst into tears (can you blame me?). I had a panic attack, which wasn't unusual at the time really as I've been going through a tough time anyway, and then took a deep breath and calmed myself down. It was all going to be okay, I told myself.

It didn't take long before I decided that 2016 had been such a bloody terrible year for me that it was a blessing in disguise and a new start would do me the world of good (fresh start and all that jazz). So I set about finding myself something new. I was lucky enough that although I was contractually on a weeks notice, they gave me a month meaning I was able to take Christmas off and have plenty of time to find something new.

Since being told, I haven't let it get me down more than I already was, I've used it to motivate me to make a change and find somewhere I'm totally 100% happy again. I've been to plenty of interviews and have spoken to enough people about possible jobs and have just accepted a freelance role to start later this month!

But through all this my family and so many friends have been supportive. I am so lucky to have these people around me and I think that's the key thing to do if it ever happens to you; surround yourself with people who care and will look after you. Redundancy sucks, but you have to try to look on the bright side and use it to your advantage. I wouldn't have started blogging again and I wouldn't be considering all my options to make 2017 a happier place. The world is my oyster and I am going to live it whatever way makes me happy (just as long as I can pay my bills, but i'll make it work).

Let's do this 2017.

Oh, and can we all just take a moment to appreciate one of my buddies through all this; little Luna who is feeling very sorry for herself after her trip to the vets.





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig